Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 5 November 2009

Musings

What I've been doing today pokerwise
Been playing around with a postflop line with AQo. We bet half pot on every flop out of position against a button caller. Those times we get floated we check raise top pair + on the turn hopefully shutting out the draws and getting the extra bets worth of value from weak hands. Right, I'm not going to go into the ups or downs of this play - it's profitability depends alot (obv) on villains range but it's not a bad way of playing a strong hand like AQo post flop out of position.
Is post flop poker just a super elaborate battle for the blind money?
When we look at each individual post flop action we can (with the use of pokerazor) find it's average equity. As the hand proceeds along the decision tree the equities get larger and larger but the percentage of time that these actions occur overall gets smaller and smaller... So where do we find the overall global EV of playing a line this way? Well, at the top of the tree. Right? If we go back to the preflop EVs they are always very small with respect to the stacks. So post flop poker is really just a super elaborate battle for very small edges. Easy to forget in the heat of a situation. One thing I realised tonight was the importance of dead money in the pot. If the blinds are always folding and there are weak limpers donating money preflop, once the real battles commence pf the dead money can make many overall losing plays profitable still. Make the most of dead money!

No comments:

Post a Comment