Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 10 December 2009

Brutal hour or so...

4 games, four losses. Despite being a 2/1 chip leader twice and getting it in with the best hand. Going to stop play since in the last game I got it in with JJ and ran into TT who insta outed a set. Ok, every single one of these players was calling like 80% out of the big blind. I felt I had a huge edge on all of them and played reasonably well but just didn't get the cards. Obv I don't expect to be a winner at HU yet - I am determined that I will beat these games - but I am sure that this was just bad variance. Every flip I seemed to lose and I made the mistake of getting the money in light with weak aces twice which didn't help tonight. Trouble is, with shortish blinds ATs is a clear call getting better than 2/1. I don't want to turn this into a bad beat post though so let's focus on the hands I played badly. I'll pick a couple and post below:



Ok this was immediately after the hand where we lost with JJ vs. TT. Basically I put villains range for donking as any part of the board but not a monster. I figured I could get second or bottom pair to fold and figured I had ten outs to the best hand meaning I'm only a 38% dog to be good by the river if we are called. Unfortunately he had one of my outs reducing my equity to 27%. And obv top pair which is prob never folding.

I think a problem I'm running into is that all these players have been very loose passive at various times throughout the match and I've made the mistake of giving myself too much fold equity in a pot. Here's another example:



My problem here is that by checking my blind preflop I'm representing a very small range by check raising the flop. Plus, villain is rarely folding to any flop aggression. Check folding is probably way better here. EDIT: What about check calling? If we hit we should have a really good hidden hand. And as we've seen, villain doesn't like folding top pair. It's a much less expensive line against this type of player. The problem is I've been so used to playing aggressively but against this type of player passive play is necessary with draws because we obv have NO fold equity. Become a station to beat a station. I'll continue to analyse my play over the coming weeks. These players are all big losers on sharkscope so I'm clearly 1/ either card dead or 2/ I am not exploiting these players in the best way. I think it's probably a mix of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment