Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 4 December 2009

Played pretty well tonight I think...

I really tried to play solidly tonight after my shocker yesterday. I think, overall, I played well. I was reading villain's play quite well and adjusting to their adjustments. My hand reading was reasonably good and I managed to extract some extra value by using a couple of reverse tells on appropriate boards and bet sizing correctly - in one pot in particular. Happy today. Still tons of leaks in my game though so hopefully the study I put in when I join HUSNG will help with that. Not sure I'll ever be able to go back to full ring any more, I won't be seeing enough flops lol. It's amazing how different I'm beginning to see the game now I am seeing so much 'later street' play. It's so much fun... and for the first time - against certain opponents - you really do feel like you are a good player. I've never felt that before in any poker game. Right to finish up here's a hand I played tonight. I'd labelled villain as semi tight passive. I'm not honestly sure if I played the hand optimally but I certainly won a big pot. The river danger card was a good one for me to check raise since it's obv a good card to bluff and it's also difficult for villain to put those draws in my range. It looks bluffy in other words. But when someone I've labelled as passive four bets I was shit scared. But I just couldn't see any hand that would play this way so decided to call. Was right but not sure if I was correct to call. So Decide for yourselves:
Stage #2036446262 Tourney ID 4974977 Holdem Single Tournament No Limit 40 - 2009-12-04 23:16:29 (ET)
Table: 33011080 (Real Money) Seat #4 is the dealer
Seat 4 - WANWEST (1,435 in chips)
Seat 6 - BATTERED_SOD (1,565 in chips)
WANWEST - Posts small blind 20
BATTERED_SOD - Posts big blind 40
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to BATTERED_SOD [9c Ks]
WANWEST - Raises 60 to 80
BATTERED_SOD - Calls 40
*** FLOP *** [8h Kd Kh]
BATTERED_SOD - Checks
WANWEST - Bets 40
BATTERED_SOD - Raises 120 to 120
WANWEST - Calls 80
*** TURN *** [8h Kd Kh] [Jd]
BATTERED_SOD - Checks
WANWEST - Checks
*** RIVER *** [8h Kd Kh Jd] [10d]
BATTERED_SOD - Checks
WANWEST - Bets 40
BATTERED_SOD - Raises 200 to 200
WANWEST - Raises 960 to 1,000
BATTERED_SOD - Calls 800
*** SHOW DOWN ***
WANWEST - Shows [5c 5s] (Two Pair, kings and fives)
BATTERED_SOD - Shows [9c Ks] (Three of a kind, kings)
BATTERED_SOD Collects 2,400 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot(2,400)
Board [8h Kd Kh Jd 10d]
Seat 4: WANWEST (dealer) (small blind) HI:lost with Two Pair, kings and fives [5c 5s - B:Kh,B:Kd,P:5s,P:5c,B:Jd]
Seat 6: BATTERED_SOD (big blind) won Total (2,400) HI:(2,400) with Three of a kind, kings [9c Ks - P:Ks,B:Kh,B:Kd,B:Jd,B:10d]

I guess the hand he's representing is a set. But I think 88 would rereaise the flop often since it looks like I might have a king. 88 or JJ would surely try and get some money in on the turn given that I might have a king. That leaves only one possible hand with three combinations in TT. AQ or any other draw can reasonably be discounted because there was no betting on the turn. I've also used those reverse tells and so there's a good chance he might put me on a busted flush draw and try to bluff raise me. So given that his range is so polarized I believe the call to be correct. One last point - could we not have shipped the stack in? Would he not feel obliged to call for a hundred chips more with any two? Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment