Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Monday 18 January 2010

Results not great this evening.

played three, lost three. Basically, although I don't think I was on top of my game, I didn't think I played that badly so it's prob just negative variance. Some hand histories below. I've picked a few out and will put a brief analysis after each one. Hope you get something from them, likelihood is that I made huge mistakes. I've picked one pot I won and one I lost from each:
Game One

best player of all three, seemed decent (with deeper stacks). When he was short he didn't play shove fold so probably exploitable there but otherwise played solid. Ok, I min raised pre because I was getting reraised loads, I could also have limped or folded. However villain was giving up enough to c-bets to make min raising preferable IMO. With the game flow I felt that I'd be check raised alot on this board so I elected to check back and delay c-bet the turn - much as I would with QQ or a weak Ace. We hit our miracle out and villain leads. At this point I think if he has an ace or a four he cannot fold to a raise given that our line would make no sense, but I don't think his bluffs would continue since we'd look committed. I decided to let him fire his bluffs again on the river and then raise all in. The actual river is puke city. The one card I cannot raise all-in to. If he'd bet much more I think I'd have folded, but I felt there was enough bluffs in his range to call so I did and was right (for once, lol).
Not sure there's much value in showing any other hands from this game tbh, the only other big hand we had AQo with a slight chip deficit and shoved our button with about 12 big blinds and villain called K7o and turned a full house. His call was pretty dreadful generally but I'd shoved a ton of buttons so maybe he thought I was shoving any two which would make the call OK.
Game Two
Second match and I made two significant mistakes. First off, villain was loose passive but in the sense that he'd pretty much fold everything unless he had a hand and raise only the good ones. I spewed my chips away in two pots.



So despite my read I still couldn't get away from my hands. In the first one, I just felt that I couldn't fold my top pair. However, during this game villain had NEVER bluffed. He was betting rarely and the rest of the time he was checking or folding. His aggression was about as low as I'd ever seen in a player. So we can at LEAST put him on a ten here, if not much better. So why do we raise? Almost all of the time on this board villain would likely check it back so we should just have bet any card lower than a ten on the turn and folded to any heat. Yes this makes me exploitable but villain wasn't good enough to do that. The same thing happened with the second hand. At the time, I just thought he'd have raised a jack on the flop and felt my king kicker was likely good if villain had a weak six. But given my player read, I'm never good here so again I made a bad call despite the strength of my hand. Sigh, Oh well. I think I'll learn from these types of mistakes the most so I'm glad it happened. Last game villain was a loose aggressive calling station hybrid. Betting at most cards but also never folding to a raise. I'd played pretty well to keep myself in the game despite being card dead and this hand happened.

Not much I can say really, other than 'nice call' I guess. Kind of sums up the evening, didn't destroy myself but made some pretty big mistakes. But I still believe that I'm not doing that badly. I've not come across another player that I've felt is destroying me or the game or doing any of the things I've learned especially well so I'm certain it's only a matter of time before I start making money. If not, then coaching will be necessary. I'll prob buy some anyway to be honest, I am a poker knowledge freak. Probably my biggest strength - I can't stop reading/watching/studying. Every time I see something new it fascinates me. This is why I believe I'll one day beat these games. Because the players that I know whose thirst for knowledge is as big as mine are a very very rare breed. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment