Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Saturday 20 February 2010

Good evening

Had good cards tonight and won 3/3. Two players were quite "crummy" - remember this word from the 80s? I love getting big pocket pairs against these villains, because they don't give you ANY credit when you raise. So, 3-bets galore get the money in thankyou very much for your buy-in sir. The other player was an 8% winner over 1000ish games and when I found this out at the start of the game I played pretty poorly for the first few hands. I really do need to learn to have confidence in my game sometimes. To be honest I didn't deserve the game, I spewed about 800 chips by calling a little loosely on some dryish boards with second/3rd pair. But in a pot when I was short I turned the nut flush on a checked paired flop and he'd slow played trips - this allowed me to double up and then trap him one hand with KK before managing to win the flip. I really need to give villains more credit early on in a game before we get a read that he/she is bluffing out of line. If it means we get run over for 20 hands before adjusting this means we'll likely lose alot less than 800 chips. I hope I get a chance to play this villain again however, with a little work I think I could create a good strategy to counter his. There were certainly imbalances in his play, as there were in mine during the game. This is how the battle between two thinking players begins :)
Further thoughts?
I didn't play the limp stab style tonight really. There were passages of play where I did when I felt it was necessary to switch gears but the rest of the time I played more aggressively. I think I'll just incorporate this gear into my overall style and go from there. A big edge in poker comes from players calling too lightly (preflop) and folding to most c-bets. If we're always limping I feel that I'm missing out on exploiting this imbalance. Sure, if this leak doesn't exist in a villain we need to find another one to exploit and limp stabbing might be it. But I think I'll begin a match by establishing if we can use this simple trick, and if it doesn't work move onto other strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment