Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 25 February 2010

Stack Size Mistakes

Looking back over my recent hand histories, I noticed two spots where I folded top pair when reraised on flop, flatted then villain smashed the betpot button on the turn. Both were dangerous boards and I think I made correct folds in both instances. But I think my major mistake was playing a post flop pot with a top pair sort of hand where the ratio of the pot to the stack sizes once we reach a flop is not good for us should we hit. I could have made a big mistake by folding the best hand to a strong draw in a big pot. So this is adding more fuel to the part of me that thinks I should start playing a limp stab style so that I can develop my hand reading skills and also so that I'm not making big mistakes by 1/ folding the best hand in a big pot 2/ getting the money in as a dog in a big pot. Generally if we're only ever making mistakes in small pots then we shouldn't be doing alot wrong. Once the stack sizes come down a bit then we can start raising as we'll be able to commit our stack much easier on favourable boards. So, how do we disguise our hand? When I raise most buttons it's easy for villain to make mistakes as my range is disguised. If I'm going to limp every pot I need to do this with strong hands too, so that villain never knows what I have and we can then build/control the pot size as needed.
Another little trick I'm going to start using is a rule of thumb for commitment decisions. Usually my thinking goes like this: " I have top pair let's get it in!! "
What I should really be asking is this: " Given the stack sizes and my opponent, will my hand be ahead of his range should we get all-in? ". If the answer is yes, we can raise. If not, it's better to take a passive line or if the hand is likely to end up with a stack decision we should just fold.

No comments:

Post a Comment