Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 19 February 2010

What's that?... Plan B?!

Ok, just watched a video by a player who likes to limp a very wide range (including big hands) and then makes assumptions about villain's hand based on his preflop action and plays the flop accordingly. It's a small ball approach that I've read about a few times - also employed by some mid stakes winners like fydor_8. The most interesting aspect is that in the forum topic about the video, it was suggested that every player should be able to play multiple styles well in order to counter act the strategy that your villain is employing. My natural style is fairly aggressive and I like building pots with hands that play well. But against villains who are very bluffy and overbet aggressively I don't think my style works out very well unless we hit flops pretty hard. So I think that I am going to teach myself this small ball approach so that against opponents like this I can keep myself in the game by conceding small pots until I pick up a hand worth going with. At the moment (if I miss flops) I'll find myself around 1000 chips quite quickly and this is where I panic and get the money in light - as I did last night. So, for the next few matches I'm going to work on my plan 'B' and learn to become a small baller. Hopefully then, I'll be able to get away from spots where I get frustrated and get the stack in where my equity is unclear. At the end of the day, HU money is made post flop so the fewer times we have to get the money in marginally the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment