Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 28 April 2010

New Personal Goals for Poker

I came to a mini revelation recently. Competition is very fierce in NLHE these days, and there are alot of knowledgable people out there who are doing no better than beating the rake. I honestly don't believe I am good enough - or intelligent enough - to do better than these people, yet I do not want to give up playing altogether. It's fun!
I'm not saying that 'there is no money in heads-up, everyone's solid'; there is. I'm just not good enough to be a winner. So I need to re-evaluate my poker goals and come up with a reason to play that does not require winning. Currently, I've always harboured ambitions about earning enough money so that I can quit my mundane day job. This is grossly unrealistic and over - ambitious for someone of my poker standard and intelligence. So what should I be aiming for? Well I think that from now on I'll just try and improve my accuracy on every street. Instead of the goal of making good money, I'll just aim to play as well as my ability and comprehension allows. I can use StoxEV or a coach to help. To this end, from now on I will try as much as possible to ignore results in my posts; I am no longer expecting to make money so therefore results are irrelevant. The only relevancy - given my new goal - is the accuracy of my play. Once I've purchased StoxEV I'll begin to filter out hands that caused me difficulty and post them here with my thoughts. Honestly, releasing myself from this burden of profitability is an immense relief. I can now just play without worrying about results; I just need to think about the mistakes I have made during a session and what I could have done differently for the better. You have no idea how liberating this currently feels!
Anyway, good luck at the tables. Simon
PS If anyone is interested in sharing hands and StoxEV analysis I'd love to hear from you as my play has hit a little blocker lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment