Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Saturday 29 May 2010

Getting it in too light?

I'm beginning to use more features of poker tracker 3 to try and improve my game. One way is that I'm now using a more advanced HUD. Another way is by using the filters to closely analyse my play. I've just looked at hands where I got it all-in preflop. There are three hands which are profitable {QQ, KK, AA}. The biggest losers? {AKs, AKo}. In my recent poker history I'd been getting these hands in as standard. I don't have a huge sample so maybe I'm just not hitting many flops with them. However, I've had a growing feeling recently that getting it in with AK is a bit light at these limits. We're almost never being called by worse, and often players have such a tight 3-bet or 4-bet range that we're not getting many folds either. So I'm going to start playing it a little weaker; I'll certainly 3-bet it, but fold to 4-bets. Just for a few thousand hands and see if my win rate improves with this hand. If I find someone who is 3-betting light then I'll have to adapt, but to be honest running into a light 3-bettor seems rare at the moment so I'm sure it's not costing me much equity. And without a few thousand hands on a villain it's hard to be sure that they really are 3-betting lightly or have just picked up some nice hands when I'm in the pot.
I've also discovered that my win rate for c-bets isn't as high as it should be. Neither is my win rate for double barrels; I think the main reason is that I'm still c-betting too much. It's come down to just under 70% but I think that I still qualify as a quantity c-bettor rather than a quality c-bettor. I think that an ideal range for c-betting and double barreling is prob approx 55-60% flop c-bets and 45-50%turn c-bets. It's hard to see most villains being able to exploit these sorts of numbers since there is so much value in those ranges. So the key for me is being alot more selective about c-betting boards. For example at the moment I like to barrel when I have two broadways and there's a third on the board. This way I can barrel any turn broadway which should at least give me a gutshot. But perhaps I need to wait for backdoor flush draws as well so that I'm not always barrelling a pretty dry J63r with KTs for example. Anyway, still plenty of things to work on.
My goal? To become the toughest microstakes 13/12 you ever played against :P! GL

No comments:

Post a Comment