Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Sunday 30 May 2010

I anger myself sometimes...

Just lost four buy-ins, two below expectation but in the largest pots I made two loose river calls. I'm beginning to identify the biggest leak in my game: I'm going to showdown much too often. In Rush full ring poker, I think I'm way over estimating peoples bluffing frequencies (maybe a hangover from HU play). I'm seeing showdown nearly 30% of the time which is on the 'calling station' side of things. I'm a station, I admit it :). The biggest winners at these limits have numbers between 20 and 25%. I'm really going to tighten up over the next few thousand hands. As my showdowns decrease my range when I get there should get much stronger and therefore I should begin to see bigger showdown winnings. As an example of my leak, I just flopped middle set on a monotone board and fired two barrels which villain called. I would expect him to raise a flush at some point during the hand so I decided to check the river and allow the busted draws a chance to bet at the pot. With little info on villain I checked and then called a pot sized bet. But this is only profitable if villain is bluffing here more than a third of the time, and I'm not sure this would be the case. Most draws would likely raise the flop. Sigh, I'm frustrating myself at the moment. I need to become more nitty against random players in this format, so I'll really try and achieve this over the next few sessions.
Goals for the next 30K hands:
1/ C-bet less often and more selectively
2/ Cut my showdown % from 28 to below 25
Of course, at the end of the week I'll update on my progress

No comments:

Post a Comment