Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 8 July 2010

Barren Spell Continues

Update
I got frustrated today while playing which is unlike me. The poor stretch of hands has continued although I've made some money back since dropping back to 10NL. The good news is that I have a $50 Rake payment due tomorrow and have very nearly cleared a $100 bonus. This should top my bankroll up and would allow me to move back to 25NL if I so wished. But I think I'll wait until I have won 5 or so buy-ins more at 10NL before I try again to rebuild some confidence.
Bet Sizing
I have been experimenting with bet sizing in various spots based on the things I've recently learned. I'm thinking of standardising my 3-bet sizing to around $1.30 which is an over-bet to most standard pre flop raises. The problem with re-raising to around a dollar is that villains are only making a small mistake by calling to set mine against my pretty tight 3-bet range. But with my new sizing they have to call around a dollar to win 9 more and calling just to set mine here is a big mistake even if we go all-in with over-pairs or top pair every time. Once we do over-bet here then we can also bluff more often. So I'm going to start 3-betting to around $1.30 with a range that is polarised between {QQ, AK} and some low suited connectors. The thing I've first noticed about this strategy is that players float less. They tend to either 4-bet or much more often just fold. This is the correct adjustment since I am now denying them implied odds to set mine. It just becomes a strong range versus a mediocre range with two pot sized bets to come post flop if they call (and some still do).
The second adjustment I'm making is reducing my PFR size from a pot sized bet to a 3x raise and making it 2.5x from the CO and button. This is a defence against light blind 3-bettors and should increase my blind steal profit margin. It also allows me to call with implied odds versus villains who (like me previously) had not been sizing the 3-bets correctly.
Last Blog for a Week
It's holiday (or vacation) time and I'm going to a caravan in the middle of nowhere for a week with my fiancée. I will have no opportunity whatsoever for poker and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it. I do have a book on pot limit Omaha that I shall try and get through but that's it. I'm sure I'll be itching to get back to the tables when I come back. Whatever, I hope the cards fall better for you than they have for me over the last 30K hands or so. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment