Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Tuesday 27 July 2010

First Final Table for $27

So I finished a final table for $27, the first cash that I've had so far. I made a significant mistake today though and cost myself some equity by reshoving with 22 versus a player who wasn't raising a wide enough range to justify the move and it cost me one buy-in. I've no idea how I'm going to fare in these games - well hopefully given the terrible opposition - but making mistakes like these makes me no better than them. Anyway, general notes on these games:
1/ Villains put way too much emphasis on the KO money, and consequently call very widely. There's not much we can do about this other than play very tightly and just try and steal pots where we can and value bet the hell out of our big hands. Standard preflop raise sizing is useless, with our big hands we need to be raising to a size that allows us to get the money in with two streets of betting post flop. The reason being that the fish will stack off with a lot of junk and draws. We miss value by allowing them to fold those busted draws on the river. So if the pfr is 8xbb or something then that's a good size. The villains still call!! Set mining is very good, but I've yet to work out how much we can risk for it to still be profitable. I suspect somewhere around 200 chips (with 3000 chip effective stacks) but I'll let you know if I discover any more on this.
2/ So we want to be a NIT during the early phase of the game. However, when antes come in the pot becomes very bloated preflop. I found that I was able to steal a lot more aggressively without anyone really figuring out that I'd switched gears.
3/ On the final table there seemed to be tons of chips flying about, so I think that nitting up again to move up spots is a decent strategy, but we must stay competitive and not let our stack dwindle away to nothing since we want to maintain a decent chance of winning.
Right, well I've played 8 so far at -$17.00.

2 comments:

  1. I've played about 50 or 60 of these this month and I agree with you they are so full of fish it is unbelievable.

    50% ROI is pushing it a little, though 30% is definitely acheiveable, even in the long run, as shown by the leaders on the sharkscope leaderboards

    We'll probably cross in the $3.30KO's at some point, I'm Yorksh1re Pud on there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah maybe a little hopeful with the ROI figure, I had just seen a couple of players with 100%+ over 1k games or so and just chopped that in half, figuring they were likely running well. Terrible maths and logic, muchas shame on me. I'll look on the leaderboards in future. I'm playing under B4nko so I'll look out for you in the games although I often have chat turned off as it tilts me too much. I'm also pretty bad at tournaments, I play very nittily in them but I'm looking to improve where I can. Any advice? Simon

    ReplyDelete