Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 23 July 2010

Making a distinction between winning and losing sessions

I've seen a gradual increase in my win rate over the 150k hands I've played at 10NL (Rush). There are a couple of reasons for this I believe. The first is experience; the more hands you play given some set of knowledge the better you become since you experience more examples of those concepts during play and the repetition of these situations allows you to improve the way you play in those situations. So I'm really excited about getting through hands now, and I don't really care any more how individual sessions go providing that my graph is still moving upwards and I'm getting through volume as this is making me a better player. The second reason for my increase in win rate is that I'm having more sessions playing my 'A' game compared to my 'B' game. I think the difference between the two is the times I sit down and just play my cards:
"Oh my pocket sixes missed again, I fold"
- and the times that I pay less attention to my cards and more on my opponents ranges:
"Well, villain is playing 11/10 with 3% 3-bet and has flatted me in late position. His flatting range includes middle pockets pretty dominantly. I have pocket sixes and although I'm turning my hand into a bluff I think that two barrels on this Kxx board will make the best hand fold very often so, I BET!"
- This example is really simple but it's thought processes like these that differentiate those times where I feel the best and the times I'd be better off doing something else. The good thing is that the good sessions are getting more frequent. It's probably a case of habit, the more I think on the second level the more natural it becomes. Hopefully by the time I've played a million hands it will have become second nature instead of something I have to really concentrate on doing.

PS I love the Mercury Music Awards, they've tuned me into so much good music over the years. Currently loving 'The XX' and 'Foals' albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment