Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Monday 23 August 2010

Learning a Valuable Lesson

My last post was inspired by a decision I made while distracted with something else. I glanced at the screen and noticed the action was on me at the final table in the small blind, and I'm well below average chips but not necessarily desperate yet. However looking quickly at the blinds and the pot size I decided that it was one of those any two card shoves versus the tight big blind player and quickly pressed all-in. It was only after a second glance that I noticed that a giant whale - someone who had limped over half of the hands in an 80 hand stretch without a single preflop raise - was also in the pot UTG. When he SNAP called with A2s to completely dominate my random garbage and knock me out I was obviously seriously dismayed. So this teaches a valuable lesson:
When playing on the money bubble or at the final table we must be totally focussed on the action and what each player is doing. If we become distracted then mistakes will be made and at this stage in the tournament that's where the EV mistakes are the biggest (by ICM). So from now on I'll make sure that I have 110% concentration on the job in hand and especially when there is less than 20 players left. To aid in this I'll take ludicrously over the top notes on every player, the hands they're showing down; their pre flop and post flop tendencies - everything. If I cannot be totally absorbed in the action then I'd be better off doing something else. At the end of the day the only thing that's going to get me out of this bad stretch is to play well and put in volume. There's no point undertaking the latter unless I'm taking care of the former. GL!

No comments:

Post a Comment