Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 28 January 2011

Winning Microstake's Poker (IMO)

1/ Play a superior strategy
This is much tougher than it used to be as the standard of play has improved. BUT there are still winning strategies out there, and many of the winners share these strategies on the forums. Read, learn and profit.
2/ Keep a cool head at all times
Each hand is merely a single result in a broad strategy. If someone lets these individual results affect their decision making, not only are they showing naivety about the mathematics but are turning what could be a good strategy into a mediocre or poor one. Who cares that your KK got sucked out on? As long as you play a superior overall strategy to most of your opponents you'll win. Forget the individual results and concentrate on the long term.
3/ Play within a good bankroll structure
I use a strategy of moving up at 50 buy-ins for the next limit and down at 90 buy-ins for the limit below. Simple, a little nitty for some people but it protects my investment and makes sure that I can concentrate on getting through volume.
4/ Play volume
This has been my biggest weakness in the past, but Rush poker has changed this forever. I can now play serious volume, up to around 50000 hands per month. That's a lot of poker. Volume is variance's enemy and nemesis; variance cannot beat volume, EVER. Play a winning strategy, keep cool, play volume and make money!

An element of strategy
The part of my strategy that has improved the most lately is my understanding of how conditions change during a hand. For example, you notice that a loose raiser from the button folds a lot to 3-bets and you decide to pull the trigger with Ac7c. We have already deduced that this play should make an immediate profit. However, our opponent actually calls. Now what? I used to just make an automatic c-bet and would often spew off half my stack or more running some bluff. But this is usually bad; against his continuing range the hand does pretty poorly, so it's best to continue when our equity improves on the flop e.g. flush draws, top pair etc. The fact we're check folding the flop most of the time does not make our first raise bad. Know when to give up on a bluff.

Way too early for me to be preaching strategy I know, sorry. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment