Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Monday 10 January 2011

Yesterday, I was Shit.

Back in the days when Wimbledon football club graced the top division of the English league the team would give a t-shirt to the worst player from the previous game to wear during training. It said something along the lines of this post's title. Well yesterday, that player was me. I intended to post hand histories but I need to get to bed so I will delay that - although I think it will be informative if I do post them.

A large portion of the session I played reasonably well but I made two big mistakes.
1/ Ran a large bluff against an unknown
2/ Called a large overbet on the river from a loose passive who had shown weakness throughout the hand.
In the first case, I picked up good equity on the turn so played a check raise (I stand by this play, with the equity I had bluffing should be fine against 90% villains) but then when I missed the river after opponent called I bet out again. I think this is too fancy without reads. After my opponent has shown the ability to call a bet verses a super strong line then it's unlikely that he'll fold the river. I could and should have saved a 50bb bet.
The second hand was even worse. A weak passive player called my EP raise in the BB then donked out with a min-bet on a low uncoordinated board. I had an over-pair with JJ so I raised for value and the villain called. The turn was a card of a higher rank than the board but not jacks and villain bet the minimum again. Like 0.25c into a $5 pot. This time, seeing the value getting a lot thinner I decided to try and get another bet in on the river. So it came a 3 and villain shoves for 3xpot. So often against this type of villain it's either a slow played hand or one that's got there with the dealt card and I made a mistake and called. Sure enough, the weak passive had rivered a set.

It's very easy to be results oriented when looking back over a session, but this is two mistakes in big pots. That made the difference between a 5ptbb/100 win-rate for the session and a -5ptbb/100 win-rate for the session. I believe that I have the knowledge to beat this limit but I will not realise that equity until I cut out the mistakes in the big pots. So I need to be less suspicious and less fancy. It's an easier game at this limit than I'm making it! GL

No comments:

Post a Comment