Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Tuesday 15 March 2011

Thinking About Improvement

So I have inevitably started thinking about trying to correct some of the mistakes I'm making during play. An example of a spot where I get stuck is calling with weak but often best hands and then face further aggression. Something like facing a second barrel from a button raiser (who is stealing 50%) on a K773 (two flush) and I have JJ without a card of the flush suit. I cannot usually decide whether to just give up which seems weak, call again which invites further aggression especially on the tons of river cards that I hate or raise which is turning the hand into a bluff (since he's not likely to call with anything weaker bar flush draws).

I know for sure that I'm a little too passive on turns so I'm going to have to begin turning some hands into bluffs on this kind of board. I think JJ is going to be best a little too often to make raising better than calling but a hand like 88 or 99 can get better hands to fold, hands with equity (overcards etc.) to fold and also gain value from draws enough of the time to probably make it a profitable play. This sort of spot is something that I should pick out of my database and spend some time studying. The unfortunate thing is that the little time I have for poker I feel that I should use for play. I have time off in April so I'll try and use that week to work extensively on turn play - it's easily my weakest street and if I can improve there I can see my winrate improving greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment