Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 26 May 2011

Leak Fixing 101

At the bottom of this post I have included a video by poker player 'citizenwind' where he reviews a session in Hold'em manager. Alvin is a player who has beaten Rush poker comfortably at all limits up to 200NL over a significant sample, so it will do my game the world of good to compare statistics. My leaks probably lie within the biggest differences.

Conclusion: I am a gigantic CALLING STATION.
I think that I'm putting in too much money on average post flop. Alvin explains in the video that people generally have a value heavy range when they bet so we should generally be folding to bets more often than we probably should in an optimal game. My poker understanding has reached a level where I feel that I have to prevent myself from being exploited in all situations, but of course this is only necessary if we are being exploited in these situations. In the vast majority of cases, it's likely that I'm NOT being exploited, and therefore I should be folding more often. The key statistics where we differ are:
1/ Showdown : Alvin - 22%, Me - 27.5%.
Solution : Fold MORE
2/ C-bet % : Alvin - 60%, Me - 70%.
Solution : C-bet in the most obvious spots only
3/ Fold to Flop C-bet % : Alvin - 55%, Me - 40%
Solution : Bluff catch a little less on the flop, especially against more aggressive players. Let these players bluff off to you when your range is strong.

Basically, over the next few weeks I'm going to doing a lot of work like this to return my game to winning ways. I'll probably find it hard to kick some of the habits I've picked up but to reach the next level it's work that needs to be done.GL

EDIT: This game is fucking ridiculous. I'm now ten buy-ins under EV for the latest 100k hands and that takes my grand total up to around 25 for the last 200k. Enough to drive someone insane, it really is. $600 bucks that should be mine lost to the variance curve. I'm due, poker owes me. Back to Volume, my only friend. Maybe things will turn around for the next 100k? Or maybe poker is rigged after all. On the previous subject I was much better this session I think. I made one suspect call but looking on pokerstove it wasn't a huge mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment