Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 12 May 2011

The Long Road Begins... (again, kind of)

Well I didn't smash through another 8k hands as I intended, what I did instead though was begin to study ranges and equity on the flop by generating some random flops using the excellent iPhone app PkrCruncher. I then used some typical ranges and started working out which hands were best to c-bet, which hands were best to call/raise in response to a c-bet range etc.

At the moment I guess it will not help my game at all. But as I generate more and more of these situations I'll begin to get an intuitive feel about how certain hands do on certain flop textures and I think my play will get more accurate. I'm going to treat it like a drill (like doing scales on the piano) and set aside 30 minutes a day. Eventually I'm hoping that I will be confident and knowledgeable enough that I can then begin to study turns in the same manner. The long term goal being - obviously - to become a bloody tough player to be in pots with. The benefit of this is that my opponents will have to felt bluff catching hands and thus enable me to get full value from my made hands.

It's going to be a long and hard road IMO until this stuff becomes second nature but the result will be very very definitely worth it, as I'll be thinking like a mid stakes player then.

I just realised I've let my free ring game tickets expire (that I earned as part of the last bonus) and I'm pretty pissed off with myself. That's half a buy-in I've just chucked away. Not a lot I suppose but if I'd made that sort of mistake in a hand I'd have been rather annoyed and that's what it equates to. I'll not make this mistake again! Right, I do want to play some hands today so back to the grind. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment