Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Sunday 29 May 2011

New Beginnings, Aggression Factor vs. Aggression Frequency

Aggression Factor is defined as (% bet + % raise)/% call. This statistic can be a useful measure of how aggressive a player is. However, it can be misleading as it does not account for any other actions (checking or folding).
Consider a player who is tight and aggressive and who bets or raises on the flop an average of 2 in 5 hands and calls with 1 in 5 for an aggression factor of 2 - a common value.
Now consider a much looser player who bets or raises on average 2 in 10 hands and calls with 1 in 10 - pretty unrealistic but you get the point. He would have an identical aggression factor, but his continuing range for the flop is just as strong as the tight aggressive. A consistent mistake that I've made lately is to have no respect for a loose player with high aggression factor. Even though they might only be continuing post flop with a super strong range!
Aggression Frequency is defined as (bet + raise)/(streets) and as such includes all actions. It basically describes how often (when faced with a decision) a player chooses to take the aggressive action. Going back to the previous example, the tag would now have an aggression frequency of 40% for his flop play and the loose player would have 20%. This new number now indicates that he is folding most of the time on the flop.

Returning to the hand I described last post, while my opponent's aggression factor was 2.1, his aggression frequency was 33%. This is very passive, and I think I should have either called and made a decision on the turn or folded.

Basically I intend to alter my HUD so that it only shows aggression frequency in future and hopefully this will allow my flop decision making when facing aggression to be better.

The next time I play, I will begin the new database. I intend to do a lot of hand reviews concentrating on looking at aggression frequency and hand ranges on the flop so that I can begin to hand read better in this critical situation.

Finally, it may be a couple of days before I play again. I think I need a little break from poker - not for too long - and I'm currently enjoying The Witcher 2. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment