Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Sunday 3 July 2011

Quick Thoughts on Rake

Well I've spent the day shopping for a new poker site to call home. After playing on Poker Stars for the last couple of days I thought I'd double check that there's not a better option available in terms of rake, rake-back and traffic.

I began by looking into BetRaiser, a unique poker site that charges no rake on games but just takes 10% of any withdrawal less the initial deposit. This means that overall players pay a significantly smaller amount of money to the site than in a traditional online poker room. If BetRaiser ever had any traffic, it would be the ultimate room and I'd play nowhere else. As it is though, at peak times they average ten cash game players all playing 10NL. So despite the brilliant online poker model, it does not currently serve my needs. I will however be keeping a close eye on it in case one day people realise how good this concept is and migrate.

I also looked into signing up for another site and network and claiming rake-back. However when I studied the rake chart over at pokertableratings I realised that I'd likely be paying more in rake than I do at Poker Stars even with the rake-back deal.

Studying those numbers more closely, it's clear that in the full ring cash games Poker Stars provides excellent value in terms of rake. The best in the industry. They also have an excellent VIP scheme. I have come to the conclusion that even without rake-back Poker Stars is likely at the very least an equal to it's competitors in terms of value for money. For this reason I will continue to focus my time and effort on the full ring games there.

No comments:

Post a Comment