Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 23 March 2012

Back to Full Ring

Well since around October I've been playing mainly 6-max poker on and off because I wanted to try and improve my game. However now that Zoom has arrived, I'm going to go back to the full ring tables. I'll try and explain why briefly now.

Over the sample of hands I played at 6-max since October, I've lost money. It's only 44k hands but quite a few buy-ins (18 or 12 with all-in EV adjustment). I've played nowhere near the number of hands I need to find my true win rate at that format but never the less the signs aren't promising.

Full ring standard deviation is smaller than at 6-max. If you've followed my blog at all, you'll know that downswings affect me emotionally. Any steps that I can take to soften that blow is going to be very helpful because in Zoom I'm going to be playing more hands and thus, downswings are going to happen more often.

Finally, whenever I look on poker table ratings at the bigger winners the majority seem to make their money at full ring tables. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps, since the training material out there is mainly focussed on 6-max those games have become tougher than full ring. Or perhaps it is because full ring is raked less than 6-max (go to buyhands.com and look at the daily or monthly rake graphs). PTR released a report last year that showed that the distribution of winners at 6-max was smaller than at full ring.

I do have unfinished business at 6-max still, and when I'm employed again perhaps I'll have another go. But for now I'm going to go back to the format where I've made money in the past and try and continue to do so. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment