Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Monday 23 April 2012

Some Zoom Too!

As well as the SNGs (which I'm still enjoying very much) I'm still getting my hands dirty in the zoom games. I played 3000 hands today, which is obviously awesome. I haven't put much volume into zoom yet, but I'll rectify this over the next few days. I think that I should be able to play 50k hands in quite a short space of time and if I'm beating 10NL still then I'll move up to 25.

Putting in this volume has reminded me of a handful of leaks that I still have. One is folding too much in the blinds, another is not 3-betting enough. The biggest and most important leak is that I make too many mistakes in big pots.

One thing that I learned at Cardrunners from players such as Verneer is that at microstakes, a players winnings closely correlates to how well they do in big pots. I have this devil sat on my shoulder that tells me that I've put in too much money and cannot fold getting 2/1 even though I know villain (who has raised once in a bazillion hands) has the utter jewels. For example: (Once again I've adopted the hero name fishy_blogger)

http://www.holdemmanager.net NL Holdem $0.10(BB)
Replayer Game#79335802639
Lioznov ($5) DarkHappy ($10.92) fisika ($3.30) higurian ($10.45) Fishy_Blogger ($23.26) dwanenoh ($11.06) S.K.S.1977 ($7.36) MaKi2k11 ($10.58) Burnin__ Hand ($10.06)
Lioznov posts (SB) $0.05
DarkHappy posts (BB) $0.10
Dealt to Fishy_Blogger Jd Kd
fold, fold,
Fishy_Blogger raises to $0.25
dwanenoh calls $0.25
S.K.S.1977 calls $0.25
fold, fold, fold, fold,
FLOP ($0.90) Ts Qh Ad
Fishy_Blogger bets $0.50
dwanenoh raises to $1.50
S.K.S.1977 calls $1.50
It's a beautiful situation. My reads so far are that the cold caller is a whale, and the player that raised me is a tight reg. So at this moment I'm thinking the player that I'm worried about has AQ or TT (assuming QQ and AA raise) and I don't care what the whale has because I'm never folding against him no matter how the board plays out.
Fishy_Blogger raises to $3.50
dwanenoh calls $2
S.K.S.1977 calls $2
TURN ($11.40) Ts Qh Ad Qs
Obviously, one of the worst possible cards. At this point, I think that I should seriously consider a check fold (not versus the whale). Even if I include ATs and KJs in the competent villain's range I'm not getting enough odds to call (should he shove) and I'm never getting value by shoving. At the time I think I was tilting a little and just made an "oh I'm pot committed so I'll jam" jam. Terrible poker. Fishy_Blogger bets $10.89
dwanenoh calls $7.31 (AI)
S.K.S.1977 folds
RIVER ($26.02) Ts Qh Ad Qs Kh
Fishy_Blogger shows Jd Kd (Pre 47%, Flop 65.2%, Turn 0.0%)
dwanenoh shows Tc Th (Pre 53%, Flop 34.8%, Turn 100.0%)
dwanenoh wins $24.85

Yep, so he turns up with one of the hands that I knew that he had. Basically, this hand (and another I played yesterday when I raised with KK on a TTx flop and got three bet and couldn't fold/got it in versus trips) and many others I butchered when I played a ton at Full Tilt is the reason why my win rate isn't bigger than it is. I must do better in big pots. It's absolutely OK to fold getting 2/1 or 3/1 or more if we know enough about villain to know we're beat. Why I cannot adopt this mindset while playing I'll never know; but unless I do I'll forever be a 1bb/100 winner at 10NL.

No comments:

Post a Comment