Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Saturday 6 August 2016

More Hypers

Good afternoon, what a lovely day.

I've played a few more hypers, after running poorly to begin with and dropping several buy-ins I have placed in a few now to bring me nearly back to even. To be honest if I can get through all of my T$ at about break-even the exercise will have worked out exactly as I hoped as I'll be building a decent micro 'roll again at that point.

I'm really happy with my play overall, I've played pretty well and only found a few small ICM mistakes - and I've seen opponents make plenty so I actually think these are probably beatable.

When I've got through my T$ I'll post a bit more about results and see if there are any semi-instructive hands to go through.

I'm tempted after a few more of these to up the number of tables and try to get a bit of volume in. I think I'm probably making fewer ICM mistakes than others at this limit so hopefully can make a small return, though I'd need to do work at higher buy-ins to remain a winner I expect.

Update:
Just made my biggest ICM mistake, so going to post it so that - hopefully - I learn from it!

 PokerStars Hand #156942445770: Tournament #1637170203, $6.71+$0.29 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level V (40/80) - 2016/08/06 18:31:00 WET [2016/08/06 13:31:00 ET]
Table '1637170203 1' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 4: TexassRanger (990 in chips)
Seat 5: Me (1214 in chips)
Seat 6: Karganeth (796 in chips)
TexassRanger: posts the ante 8
Me: posts the ante 8
Karganeth: posts the ante 8
TexassRanger: posts small blind 40
Me: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Me [Qc Js]
Karganeth: raises 708 to 788 and is all-in
TexassRanger: folds
Me: calls 708
*** FLOP *** [7d 2d 6c]
*** TURN *** [7d 2d 6c] [9d]
*** RIVER *** [7d 2d 6c 9d] [3d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Me: shows [Qc Js] (high card Queen)
Karganeth: shows [Tc Th] (a pair of Tens)
Karganeth collected 1640 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1640 | Rake 0
Board [7d 2d 6c 9d 3d]
Seat 4: TexassRanger (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Me (big blind) showed [Qc Js] and lost with high card Queen
Seat 6: Karganeth (button) showed [Tc Th] and won (1640) with a pair of Tens

I have both players covered, but my pot odds are terrible so this should be a fold all day. Against the smallest stack I wouldn't expect my bubble factor to be huge here, it's just those pot odds.

Analysis:
Bubble factor against player 1 is ~ 1.24.
Pot odds / bubble factor = 1.32/1  /  1.24 = 1.06/1 so I need equity of 48.4% required.

My opponent needed to be shoving 45% or more of his hands here for that to be true, and I don't think that was the case.

Lesson learned: Just because villain is relatively loose, and the bubble factor is low doesn't mean I can simply ignore pot odds!

No comments:

Post a Comment